Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WEEK FOUR

Hey blog readers! Kelsey Higgins here! This is my blog update for Week four.
This week we learned how to do a WebQuest. When I walked into class, I had no idea what a WebQuest was  or what it was used for. By the end of class, I was able to not only understand what a WebQuest's function was for students and teachers, but how to make a successful one myself. A WebQuest is used by teachers for students and teachers. It is an interactive website that gives students a 'how-to' or a 'scavenger hunt' and then reflect on what they learned from their WebQuest. There was also a teacher portion where teachers could read about how the teacher that made the WebQuest did to make it a successful website, and what they needed to do to make their own WebQuest. It gave the teachers looking at the WebQuest information on what supplies and materials they needed and how they could use that WebQuest for future lesson plans.
I think that it was very important to learn how to make a WebQuest in this class because WebQuests's are very beneficial to students and teachers alike. Students learn in different ways and I think that using an internet-based lesson to teach them how to do something is a great way for students to learn! I know that in the 21st century, children and young adults are constantly dealing with the internet whether it's because of research or social media. Using what the students use every day is a great tool because they are very familiar with navigating through the web.
From a teacher's standpoint, I think that looking at different WebQuest's and seeing how different teachers taught a certain subject is great for other teachers! There may be a subject that comes hard to your students and you aren't sure the best way to handle it. Seeing how other teachers conquer that subject and seeing what they did so their students know that material is key in making sure your students know it as well.
I can't wait to use WebQuests when I become a future educator! I know that I will use WebQuest as a teaching tool and as a research tool to become the best teacher I can possibly be. I think that WebQuest's also work well with the ISTE standards in that it relates well with Digital age learning for students and teachers, promotes professional growth for the teachers, student learning for the students, and digital age work.

No comments:

Post a Comment